Friday, March 16, 2007

The Other Side of Punggol: The Drain

The Other Side of Punggol is a series of shoots dedicated to various scenic shooting locations in Punggol.

I was in Punggol earlier today to explore some shooting spots. Before I left home, I packed my D50, Tian-Ya filters and spare cell in my 7 Million Dollar Home; I had a towel, 2 water bottles, a foldable umbrella, tripod and map packed into my deuter backpack. I took SBS bus No.88 and dropped off at the last stop (B13) along Punggol Road in Sengkang, before it turns into TPE towards Pasir Ris. I then walked from Sengkang, through the residential zone in Punggol until I reach the 'jungles'. According to Eikin's recommendations, there are 37 fantastic spots for nature/landscape photography. I had thought that I could visit a few in one day, but the sudden change in weather and being underprepared, only allowed me to explore Locations no.11 and 12 out of the 37.


The entrance to this route seems almost impossible at the start. The drainage ended abruptly with a concrete platform hanging over the top. Beside the concrete platform was thick growth. After screening through the region, I found a potential track which seems like one that has been taken by the other photographers, or even Eikin himself. I extended my tripod to full length and used it as a walking stick. I started to trek down a short but steep slope that seems rather haszardous, bashed through tall mimosa ("touch-me-not") trees and grass that is almost chest level. I probed for possible potholes using my tripod before I made any firm step. Finally, I was rewarded with gigantic stone slabs that I had no difficulty moving forward in a 'Lara Croft-like' movement. Shortly, I reached the converging point of two drains. These drains seems like potential shooting spots for the AG Dungeons shooters. Moving on, I realised that I could not move any more forward as there are not more stone slabs and dry marsh for my to step on. The water level is almost shin level and I believe that if I had my Army Gortex boots, I should be able to move on. I was rather disappointed because I believed that the end of this route would be a rewarding one with a sight of Coney Island and where Serangoon river opens into the sea (Locations no.1-4). By the end of the shoot, I was drenched in sweat and glad I had not worn jeans. But I was punished by tons of mild scratches from the mimosa trees.


There is definitely more to be explored in Punggol East which I must accomplish one of this days. Before I embark on exploring Punggol Jetty and the various avenues (Locations no. 30-37), or even Punggol Marina along Punggol river (Location no.29). Sadly, the progress of establishing Punggol into a new town has pushed the beautiful 'jungle' into losing its 'green'. Before Punggol becomes another Sembawang (previously a 'jungle' as well), I hope to explore and capture the beauty of these diminishing sights.


The Drain at Punggol East

CLICK ON THUMBNAILS OR HERE TO VIEW COMPLETE GALLERY

who said that Punggol HDB flats are boring when these beautiful units overlook the scenic Punggol.


technorati tags

No comments: