Thursday, March 8, 2007

Fish Steamboat Celebration

Why do I call this a celebration?
This dinner marks the end of my four-week long IPT physical training session. During this four weeks, I will have to visit Khatib Camp on every Tuesday and Thursday to do physical training in order to pass my IPPT test on the 8th session. I am happy to have completed it with the shortest time possible ever! Test results? Let's not talk about it. The only satisfaction that I got is the end of the session and an improvement of my 2.4km run timing to 10m 51s.
So this calls for a celebration!

Last year, Guan and KK, my regular IPT buddies, brought me to Upper Thomson Road for Japanese food at Tamako. Time really flies and now we had intended to revisit Tamako, but they were closed.
So, we visited a Chinese cooked food shop along the middle of the short stretch of shophouses. Along this stretch is where Casuarina (famous for their prata) can be found. I forgot to capture the store front and name of this shop that we visited. But it sure is popular! There are a lot of people and luckily we did not have to wait to be seated. We bumped into Mark Lee (local comedian/celebrity) dining with his wife. He sure looks like a 100% 'ah beng'. During dinner, Guan broke an important news to us (scroll to the end).
We ordered Pomfret fish steamboat, since KK did not really fancy fish head. We also ordered hotplate tofu (beancurd) and salad you tiou (fried dough stick stuffed with fish paste).


Instead of the conventional charcoal steamboat, they serve as electrical hotpot style.

You get the fun of putting in the fish and greens into the hotpot.
Just look at how they make the chilli taste nice
Hotplate tofu, tastes nice but I was disappointed that it was not egg tofu.

Salad you tiou, not too bad with no stale oil taste, but I've had better and not really a big lover of such unhealthy food :p
Pomfret is smooth, tender and fresh. Perfect!
Yam, another important ingredient in fish steamboat, tastes good as well.
At the end of the day, you get a really rich and tasty soup!
Two thumbs up!
CONGRATULATIONS to Guan who will be getting married at the Registry of Marriage on the 23rd of March 2007.
I am delighted to be invited to attend and also be a self-proclaimed stand-in photographer!

No comments: